Friday, October 17, 2008

Fall Break


Both kids had the week of October 13-17 off for Fall break. Most Swiss children have 2 weeks off, but we were happy to have the one we got. I really like the school calendar here - every 2 months, there are 1-2 weeks off.. the summer is shorter, but there are more opportunities throughout the year to take a break. While many families travel for the break, we stayed in Zurich - this is Jay's really busy time at work (budget season), so we opted for day adventures around the town.

Our one rule for the break was that we would never leave the house earlier than 9am. Our biggest adjustment to this year's schedule is having to have both kids dressed and out the door at 7:45 - so being lazy in the morning was a real treat for the week.

On Monday, we had a really slow morning, playing around the house. We visited the gym (or the "kids club," as my kids call it) where they saw some friends from school, which was a real treat. We came back for lunch and a little quiet time (Kate had informed us she was not tired). During "quiet time," I could hear Kate opening her drawers, but couldn't imagine what she was doing. A few minutes later, she called me into her room to show me that she had laid out all of her outfits for the week -

showing me which one was "fancy," which one was "for Starbie with Daddy," and how they all went together. What was crazy is that I have NEVER laid out her clothes like that - and she put together outfits I've never put together - and they all matched! :)

That afternoon, I took both kids to get haircuts. Since Kate is growing her hair long, we just got a slight bang trim, but Jack got the whole treatment. 6 cups of popcorn and 2 movies later, we were off to spend a little time in the big city before heading home.

On Tuesday, we had a few playdates with children from Jack's school. He is starting to make a few very nice friends, which is great to see. But after two playdates, I'm sure the consulting firm below us was happy to return to just the standard noise of our family. Even Kate said that night, "Mommy, its so quiet now." In between playdates, we played in our yard - which is filled with leaves. We had a great time making huge leaf piles, and then relaxing in the warm autumn sun while studying the colors.

On Wednesday, I took the kids to Connyland, a mini-Sea World located about an hour from our home. We went with friends from Jack's school, Ethan (in Jack's class) and Autumn (in 1st grade, who Kate adores). It was a very do-able park... small and easy for the kids to get around. While it wasn't our favorite destination (a little run-down), we had a great time with our friends. The only hitch came on the ride there, when our friends were following me. Somehow, my GPS directed me through a farmer's private road (literally), so we drove straight through a farm for about 2 miles. As we had to pull off into the dirt to let a cow pass, Jack said, "Mommy, I think we're lost." Luckily, the GPS did guide us out of the farm and on our way to Connyland... but not after a few strange look from the farmers (and my friend).

That night, we had a reunion party at our house with all of Jack's friends from Tandem. I made dinner for the kids, and my friends each brought an appetizer for the moms. It was a nice chance to catch up with everyone, particularly since we are now at 3 different schools. At the end of the party, Jack tried to sneak home with his friend Ava - then proceeded to break down crying, telling me how much he misses his friends. (Luckily, he sees them at least once a week!)

Thursday was a rainy day - so we went to KinderCity for the day. We spent the morning playing and exploring the different centers, and after a HUGE lunch (I had to go back in line twice to refill on pasta for my ravenous eaters), we attempted to see our first real movie (Wall-E) all together. Since Jack has been going to the theater since he was 2 1/2, I thought Kate would be ready to try it... but after 5 minutes, she was done - and once she finished her candy, she was pretty squirmy - and VERY LOUD. Unfortunately, I had to take her out during the movie - and when Jack joined us in intermission, we headed home. Turns out there is a big difference between being able to watch a movie at home - and in the theater. In the end, although very disappointed, Jack was a good sport (it could have been the candy I bribed him with at the grocery store), and we had a nice evening at home.

On Friday, we met our friends Ava, Colin & Jen at the zoo (to ease Jack's heartache). It was pretty chilly up there, but we had a good time running around - I think the animals thought they were watching our monkeys at times...

All in all, it was a great week, and we ended up refreshed, exhausted - and ready for school to start again! :)

No comments: